Here are the Top 16 Most Viral Posts of 2016 from my blog, ranging from topics such as porn addiction, feminism, neo-Nazis, being at the bedside of death, and the time my wife and I broke up for six months.
16) The Christian Life Isn’t a One-Shot Deal, But a Walk Painted by Steps
The Christian walk isn’t a “one chance and it’s over,” but a life-long mosaic.
15) The Irretrievable Vacuum of Unhappily Never After.
Sometimes it doesn’t work out; the prayers go unanswered; we won’t know why.
14) I’m Not Okay. Is That Okay?
I need to know I can tell you everything.
13) How Do You Keep Believing This Jesus Bulls__t?
I’m often asked how I keep believing, and I can’t believe that I keep believing.
12) A Few Quick Things About Forgiveness: What It Is and What It’s Not
Seven truths and myths about forgiveness.
11) Movies That Christians Should Watch: The Truman Show
In my movie analysis series, I go over the spiritual and cultural themes of The Truman Show, a deeply tragic comedy about opportunism and freedom.
10) I Hate My Life and Myself and I Want to Die: What Do I Do?
The reality is, our dreams get crushed, and people will leave or cheat or abuse us, and our perseverance doesn’t always pay off. Most of us are not prepared for how harsh and brutal that life can be, because no one gives the hard talk about what it’s really like.
9) “4 Unexpected Things That Happen When You Quit Porn”
An article I wrote for X3Church about four incredible things that happen when you quit pornography.
(My book on quitting porn is here.)
8) Breaking Up and Getting Back Together: About Me and My Wife
My wife and I had a six-month break-up. We needed it.
On a whirlwind day at the hospital, I visit five husbands who have lost their spouses.
(My other chaplain stories are here.)
6) What The Bible Talks About When It Talks About Women: A Mega-Post on Those Troubling “Anti-Women” Bible Verses
Contrary to pop opinion, the Bible is one of the most, if not the most, pro-women document in history.
5) She Stole My Shoes: What Being the “Other Guy” with a Cheater Taught Me About Loneliness and Lasting Love.
A girl gets mad at her boyfriend and tries to cheat with me, and things only get worse from there.
4) You Won’t Like This But I Hope You Hear Me
No one likes to hear the hard truth about themselves: but without it, we will never grow, never heal, never go.
At the hospital, I visit a patient who tried to bite a nurse and threw urine at a surgeon, and happens to have a tattoo of a swastika.
2) 5 Kinds of Romanticized Crushes That Will Mess You Up
When “romantic feelings” overtake you, here’s a little guide to see where that goes.
1) 15 Things I’ve Learned Not to Say at the Hospital
My work as a hospital chaplain has helped me to know what not to say to patients and the hurting.