Five anonymous questions:
– I’ve been a Christian a long time, but now all it seems is like rules, and loneliness and I feel like God only help “good people” … I want to get back to God, but lately I can’t even pray right. I know I’ve done terrible things … But now, I feel like he’s not looking for me.
– So ive struggled with my faith a lot lately … my question is, do we have to change ourselves? or does God help us? I would take guilt over emptiness any day, guilt means God still is telling you where to go.
– I’ve been struggling spiritually for a long time now, I’m afraid to tell people because it’ll just be a huge sob fest … But I don’t know how to follow what God says … I’m really confused.
– I have been struggling with legalism … It makes me expect the worst from God but how do i get over that? And does God help us change or do we have to change and then he”ll help us stay on the right path?
– I feel myself struggling, fighting, doubting, and becoming depressed—seconds from tears at any time …I keep telling myself that I need to make my faith my own but I worry I could get too comfortable if I’m not second-guessing myself every minute of the day. I feel like any time God extends his hand I’m pressed up against the wall, cowering away and chanting a fearful “No.”
My dear wonderful friends:
Normally I would never do this, and I totally don’t mean to brush you off, but I really want to point you to some sermons I’ve preached about these specific things. I don’t mean to “plug” my podcast, and as I’ve said before, I am much more comfortable with writing. But sometimes I believe that it’s helpful to hear someone else’s voice, especially if they have gone through (and still go through) the same things you are.
And here’s a post I’ve written on this previously:
– Question: A Mega-Post on Ragged Jagged Bipolar Faith
The thing is: there really are no magic words or a silver bullet that could instantly change your heart. I wish there was, but it’s not that easy.
Please know that since you cared enough to message me about this, you have already made a huge step in the right direction. If I could, I would double-high-five you right now.
Continue reading “Question: My Faith Is So Totally Dead and I Need Help”